[Haskell-cafe] Lightweight Unicode normalization library

Harendra Kumar harendra.kumar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 07:59:28 UTC 2016

I looked around and found only one package, text-icu which provides unicode
normalization operations and a lot more. But text-icu depends on the icu
library being installed on the system. We would prefer to avoid dependency
on the icu library.

Is there a lightweight alternative which does not depend on icu? It could
be a pure Haskell package or bindings to a lightweight C library where the
library is small and shipped with the package itself.

I wonder if there is a need for unicode normalization operations in GHC
code itself? If so how does it handle that?

I found a lightweight C library (https://github.com/JuliaLang/utf8proc) for
normalization and case folding used by the Julia lang project. If there is
no other option I am considering creating bindings to this library.

Any pointers, thoughts?

Thanks,
Harendra