[Haskell-cafe] Prelude.head: empty list

Adam Bergmark adam at bergmark.nl
Mon Mar 14 13:12:23 UTC 2016

Yes you can define your own Prelude. You can’t shadow modules but you can depend on a package providing a custom prelude while not explicitly depending on base.

On Mon 14 Mar 2016 at 14:01 Clinton Mead

<
mailto:Clinton Mead <clintonmead at gmail.com>
> wrote:

Just thinking out loud here, but could one write their own Prelude which just imports hiding (head), adds a new definition of head, and reexports the lot. Then add this new Prelude higher in the search path perhaps?

On Monday, 14 March 2016, Han Joosten <
mailto:han.joosten.han at gmail.com
> wrote:

Thanks all! Plenty good options, fortunately I found my bug pretty fast by simple code inspection :))

<
javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','lambda.fairy at gmail.com');

:

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 8:07 AM, Jonas Scholl

<
javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','anselm.scholl at tu-harburg.de');
> wrote:

> You mean like this?

>   default-extensions:  CPP

>   cpp-options:

> -Dhead=(foldr(const)(error("head:\x20\x65mpty\x20list\x20in\x20"++__FILE__++":"++show(__LINE__))).(take$1))

That's pretty cool!

By the way: can the (take$1) be removed? foldr should be lazy enough already.

--

Chris Wong (
https://lambda.xyz

"I had not the vaguest idea what this meant and when I could not

remember the words, my tutor threw the book at my head, which did not

stimulate my intellect in any way." -- Bertrand Russell