[Haskell-cafe] Materials on Compiling Functional Languages.

Gil Mizrahi gmizrahi22 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 22:01:04 UTC 2016

Maksymilian Owsianny <maksymilian.owsianny <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Cafe,
>
> I'm looking for materials on compiling functional languages. The
> materials that I was able to gather from the web were kind of all over
> the place, so I'm hoping someone could help me out with something more
> in order for a novice.
>
> Starting from something specific and simple so I could have something
> small and concrete to implement, play and ponder about. And then
> going forward with more advanced materials about different
> optimization strategies for eager and lazy languages or what could be
> achieved when limiting yourself only to a total language, etc.
>
> Cheers,
> Max.

Hi Maksymilian,

Here you'll find a (perhaps not so) short list I've accumulated:

http://pastemarkdown.com/XUEvs

and here it is in markdown format:

- [Implementing a JIT Compiled Language with Haskell and
LLVM](http://www.stephendiehl.com/llvm/)
- [Write You a Haskell](http://dev.stephendiehl.com/fun/index.html)
- [Theory and Implementation of a Functional Programming
Language](http://www.rose-hulman.edu/mathjournal/archives/2000/vol1-n2/paper3/v1n2-3pd.pdf)
- [Implementing Functional Programming
Languages](http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/papers/slpj-book-1987/slpj-book-1987.pdf)
- SPJ
- [Implementing Functional Langauges: a
tutorial](http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/Papers/pj-lester-book/)
- SPJ
- [Practical Implementation of a Dependently Typed Functional Programming
Language | Brady](http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~ecb/proofread/thesis.pdf)
-
[PLAI](http://cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Books/ProgLangs/2007-04-26/plai-2007-04-26.pdf)
- [STG
Machine](http://www.dcc.fc.up.pt/~pbv/aulas/linguagens/peytonjones92implementing.pdf)
- [Typing Haskell in
Haskell](http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~mpj/thih/TypingHaskellInHaskell.html
- [Practical type inference for arbitrary-rank types / SPJ et
al.](http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/papers/higher-rank/putting.pdf)
- Compiling with Continuations - Appel
- [PureScript Compiler](https://github.com/purescript/purescript)

Cheers and good luck,