[Haskell-cafe] HasCallStack - runtime costs?

Eric Seidel eric at seidel.io
Mon Mar 7 18:19:17 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016, at 09:21, Johannes Waldmann wrote:
> Eric wrote earlier:
>
> > If you import a function with a HasCallStack constraint
> > there's no way to disable the overhead ...
>
> > For non-recursive functions like head and tail,
> > the overhead is probably not large enough to be noticeable.
>
> Now I'm confused: should this mean that head and tail
> are "functions with a HasCallStack constraint"?
> If I ask ghci for their type, it just says head :: [a] -> a
> and that's also what's in the source
> https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.1-rc2/docs/html/libraries/base-4.9.0.0/src/GHC-List.html#head
> but the Callstack explanation in the user manual
> does show a different version of head
> https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.1-rc2/docs/html/users_guide/glasgow_exts.html#hascallstack
>
> I am not particularly concerned about head and tail here
> but generally about how to find out whether my code
> is taking a performance penalty.
>
> I think the documentation (user manual Section 9.31)
> is rather brief about the semantics. It speaks about
> solving "HasCallStack" constraints - but they could also
> be propagated? There is secondary documentation like
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ExplicitCallStack
> but it does not tell what is actually implemented,
> or I don't see it.

I'm sorry for the confusion, to be clear a function only gets a
call-stack if it has a HasCallStack constraint in its type. I used head
as an example of a function that you might want to give a call-stack,
but base *does not* do this at the moment.

GHC will infer HasCallStack constraints for functions as it would infer
class constraints, but I have a mostly-done patch to disable this
inference for top-level functions, it should make it in to the final 8.0
release. I'll try to expand the documentation as well, perhaps some more
examples would help?

Thanks,
Eric