[Haskell-cafe] Monad Stack - State + Rand?

Erik Rantapaa erantapaa at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 05:27:25 UTC 2016

You are likely missing a `lift` when you call the random functions.

Here is an example:

import Control.Monad.State
import Control.Monad.Random

walk :: RandomGen g => StateT (Float, Float) (Rand g) (Float, Float)
walk = do (x, y) <- get
          put (x + 1, y + 1)
          get >>= return

foo :: RandomGen g => StateT (Float,Float) (Rand g) ()
foo = do
  a <- lift $ getRandomR (1,6)
  b <- lift $ getRandomR (4,10)
  (x,y) <- get
  put (x+a, y+b)

test1 = do
  g <- getStdGen
  print $ runRand (runStateT foo (0.0, 3.14)) g

Because the State monad is encapsulating (transforming) the random monad,
you have to `lift` operations in the random monad so that they become
operations in the transformed monad.