[Haskell-cafe] haskell-ide-engine versus hsdev (and Debuggers)

Leonard Janke lcjanke2012 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 17:35:49 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am new to Haskell and thinking of contributing to the IDE efforts. I've
noticed two projects which aim to provide a "service" that editors and IDEs
can call to help present useful information to programmers. I am wondering
how these projects differ and why they are separate efforts since they seem
to have very similar end goals?

Another thing that I am wondering is if either of these two projects aims
to provide debugger support and what the general state of debuggers for
Haskell is? I've seen a project for a Haskell remote debugger which looks
it was ghci/interpreter based and was being used by Eclipse and IntelliJ.
It didn't work when I tried it, however, and I am not sure that the project
is still active. It also looks like ghc only recently began adding support
for debugging compiled Haskell and that initial efforts may be to get
things working with gdb or lldb. Am I correctly understanding the current
landscape as far as Haskell debuggers go?

Thanks!
Leonard