[Haskell-cafe] good choice for random number generator ?

briand at aracnet.com briand at aracnet.com
Sun Jul 24 23:48:20 UTC 2016

There's quite a few.  Many are very old.

I would have like to use vector-random and got this :

Data/Vector/Random/Mersenne.hs:33:18:
    Could not find module ‘Data.Vector.Fusion.Stream’
    It is a member of the hidden package ‘vector-0.10.12.3 at vecto_1COyUuV1LrA1IjYnWfJnbs’.
    Perhaps you need to add ‘vector’ to the build-depends in your .cabal file.
    Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

Data/Vector/Random/Mersenne.hs:35:18:
    Could not find module ‘Data.Vector.Fusion.Stream.Size’
    It is a member of the hidden package ‘vector-0.10.12.3 at vecto_1COyUuV1LrA1IjYnWfJnbs’.
    Perhaps you need to add ‘vector’ to the build-depends in your .cabal file.
    Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

I wouldn't be opposed to fixing it, but I'm wondering at this point there isn't a better package to use instead.

I'm looking for both integer and floating point random numbers, uniform and gaussian.

gsl-random looks promising as does mwc-random.

any other suggestions ?

Thanks,

Brian