[Haskell-cafe] RFC: New version of haskell-src-exts without simplified AST

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 13:09:13 UTC 2016

Dear all,

For several months I have had a branch of haskell-src-exts which has
been updated for all the new features in GHC 8.

However, I have not yet released the changes as in this version I also
removed the simplified AST. To those unfamiliar, HSE provides two
ASTs, one which has source locations and one which doesn't. I have
removed the one which doesn't.

This simplifies maintenance and I think also makes the library easier to use.

I have held back releasing this version as there are some people who
use the simplified AST. The changes necessary for the new version are
mechanical and easy to make. For example, David Fox updated
haskell-names to use my branch [1] with few problems.

The question is, are there any users of the library who object to this change?

Matt

[1]: https://github.com/haskell-suite/haskell-names/pull/73