[Haskell-cafe] localized memory management?

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at mit.edu
Thu Jan 21 04:23:38 UTC 2016

Hello Johannes,

We wrote a PLDI paper on precisely this topic!

    http://ezyang.com/rlimits.html

The feature never got merged to GHC proper, however, because it required
some changes to GHC's generated code which were a slight pessimization
for people who were not planning on using resource limits (the loss was
characterized in the paper), and it didn't seem right to add an entirely
new way (ala profiling/dynamic/etc) to GHC just to support resource limits.

Edward

Excerpts from Johannes Waldmann's message of 2016-01-20 06:53:39 -0800: