[Haskell-cafe] CPU with Haskell support

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Jan 19 22:12:02 UTC 2016

Hi all,

every now and then I think it would be cool to have a microprocessor that
supports Haskell in a way. A processor where lazy evaluation is not
overhead but an optimization opportunity, a processor that can make use of
the explicit data dependencies in Haskell programs in order to utilize
many computation units in parallel. I know of the Reduceron project, which
evolves only slowly and if it somewhen is ready for use it is uncertain
whether it can compete with stock CPUs since FPGA's need much more chip
space for the same logic.

I got to know that in todays x86 processors you can alter the instruction
set, which is mainly used for bugfixes. Wouldn't it be interesting to add
some instructions for Haskell support? However, I suspect that such a
patch might be rendered invalid by new processor generations with changed
internal details. Fortunately, there are processors that are designed for
custom instruction set extensions:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xtensa

Would it be sensible to create a processor based on such a design? I have
no idea what it might cost, and you would still need some peripheral
circuitry to run it. What could processor instructions for Haskell support
look like? Has anyone already thought in this direction?