[Haskell-cafe] [ANNOUNCE] Haskell DBMS: Project:M36

A.M. agentm at themactionfaction.com
Tue Jan 19 04:30:27 UTC 2016

On 12/21/2015 11:30 AM, Rémi Vion wrote:
> Hello, Project:M36 seems amazing, thanks !
> Thank your also for the link to the "/Out of the Tar Pit" paper/
> (http://shaffner.us/cs/papers/tarpit.pdf
> <http://shaffner.us/cs/papers/tarpit.pdf>).

Thank you Remi. We are working on completing the final components
described in precisely this paper. Then, we will publish an essay about
how Project:M36 meets the paper's requirements for functional-relational
programming.

> Are you aware of people using Project:M36 in production ?

The project is very young and unlikely to be used in production.
Currently, I would recommend it to users interested in learning about
the mathematics behind the relational algebra.

In comparison, SQL is a terrible platform for learning about the
relational algebra because SQL made some poor historical decisions. Here
is an essay on one facet of this argument:
https://github.com/agentm/project-m36/blob/master/docs/on_null.markdown

> Is there some user feedback available somewhere ?

Please use the github issue system if you encounter any problems. Or are
you asking for a "frequently-asked questions" section? We should
certainly add that.

> For small scale applications, do you think M36 is ready enough to be a
> viable alternative to Postgres ?

Project:M36 would be a viable replacement for PostgreSQL for
experimental use only. There are many more optimizations at every level
which need to be implemented before Project:M36 is on-par with
PostgreSQL and we are working on many new features.

Project:M36 has also not yet achieved feature parity with PostgreSQL,
though Project:M36 already includes some features impossible in
PostgreSQL (such as nested relations).

Thanks for trying Project:M36! Any feedback you have would be very valuable.