[Haskell-cafe] New release of the book Haskell Programming from first principles

Francesco Occhipinti f.occhipinti at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 17:37:13 UTC 2016

Hello,

I never wrote that i consider this book "a bad thing", that would not make
any sense. I expressively wrote the contrary in order to avoid
misunderstandings, but that was not enough. Let me state it clearly: this
book seems to have all the features to become a milestone for the Haskell
community, and a reference for future users. It is getting a lot of
interest and enthusiasm, and this is great!

While more and more people will approach Haskell starting from Chris'
book's pages, i hope that beginners will still be pointed to existing
Haskell resources maintained by the community, like i was in the past. I
was delighted by finding the quality and variety of knowledge in Haskell
wikis. I was pointed to papers, i have got used to be exposed to the bare
code of core libraries. I thought about the types and the source. I enjoyed
my journey through the often blamed existing Haskell documentation, and i
hope that people will keep getting lost into it and be passionate about it.

Here are some important values i see in the docs coming from the community:

* they are communitary - for me this is invaluable. they are an effort we
do together, the result of a complex process. we can all try to contribute
if we are not satisfied, and beginner's input is precious
* they are public, free, not affiliated with any specific company
* they  are succinct - this always motivated me. i can read and forget 100
explanations about monads, but the type class in itself will always
challenge me for its simplicity. one could write the core formulae in a
small notebook and keep studying on it for weeks
* they are open ended and diverse - this leaves room for criticism and
evolution. often, the Haskell guide for something is a paper about the
theory of it

I think that i received a lot studying Haskell through this
community-contributed material, i just want that we keep considering this a
viable path, even after the valuable work from Chris will become the common
ground for most of us. I want to avoid that in the future, when somebody
comes to #haskell with a question, the easy answer would be "go read the
1000 pages and then we can chat".

Anyway, from the feedback i have got i realise that there are a lot of
strong feelings about this, more than i expected. What moves around this
book are all good news for the Haskell community, and i admire how Chris
and Julie were able to convey so much content and experience through it. I
just wanted to express a different path to learning. I am sorry if my few
words, a bit too abstract and cold in their tone, were preceived as
gratuitous criticism.

Cheers,
Francesco Occhipinti