[Haskell-cafe] New release of the book Haskell Programming from first principles

Darren Grant dedgrant at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 23:20:18 UTC 2016

That is a healthy sum of work!  Been keeping tabs and looking forward to
the final product.  Still have that spot on the shelf at home, and
increasing rationale for the office.

Cheers,
Darren

On Jan 10, 2016 23:45, "Christopher Allen" <cma at bitemyapp.com> wrote:

> I'd been reticent in the past to announce the book on the mailing list,
but it's pretty comprehensive now and we have enough ecstatic readers
learning Haskell with it that I thought I'd share what we've been up to.

> We're writing this Haskell book (http://haskellbook.com/) because many
have found learning Haskell to be difficult and it doesn't have to be. We
have a strong focus on writing it to be a book for learning and teaching -
it's not just a reference or review of topics. Particularly, we strive to
make the book suitable for self-learners. We think Haskell is a really nice
language and learning Haskell should be as nice as using it is.

track our progress here: http://haskellbook.com/progress.html

> The latest release included parser combinators, composing types, and
monad transformers.

> My coauthor Julie Moronuki has never programmed before learning Haskell
to work with me on this book. She has written about using the book to teach
her 10 year old son as well -
https://superginbaby.wordpress.com/2015/04/08/teaching-haskell-to-a-10-year-old-day-1/

https://superginbaby.wordpress.com/2015/05/30/learning-haskell-the-hard-way/

> If you've been reading the book, please speak up and share your thoughts.
We have some reader feedback on the site at
http://haskellbook.com/feedback.html

> We'll be looking for a press to do a print run of the book soon as it's
about 80% done. If anyone has any pointers or recommendations on whom to
work with, particularly university presses, please email me.