[Haskell-cafe] New type of ($) operator in GHC 8.0 is problematic

Strikingwolf2012 . strikingwolf2012 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 22:48:29 UTC 2016

I would propose instead that two  types are presented. A simple and complex
type. The complex type being the most polymorphic and the simple type being
the easiest to teach and explain while still not losing the concept of the
operator. This way you can present what the real complex type is while also
showing what it can be reduced to essentially for our current purposes

To those saying this would turn others off Haskell I disagree because it is
similar to how we treat functions like black boxes and only identify them
by type, name, and documentation. For the purposes of a beginning student
they do not need to know the full type system, and thus should treat it as
a black box beyond the parts which they are learning. In time one comes to
understand the type system but one does not need to understand it at first.