[Haskell-cafe] Combining ST with STM

Thomas Koster tkoster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 06:20:06 UTC 2016

On 9 February 2016 at 15:16, Ryan Yates <fryguybob at gmail.com> wrote:
> I also have found need for what I think you are describing but only in the
> context of transactional arrays where there are multiple fields to
> initialize while I know that the array is private to the creating thread.
> For now I'm adding the primitives I need as I go, but I would like to have
> better safer story.  You might be interested in how the stm-containers
> package uses ST to build internal nodes in transactions [1], [2].
>
> [1]:
> https://github.com/nikita-volkov/stm-containers/blob/master/library/STMContainers/HAMT/Nodes.hs#L36
> [2]:
> https://github.com/nikita-volkov/stm-containers/blob/master/library/STMContainers/WordArray.hs#L118

Thank you Ryan.

Indeed, it is by experimenting with stm-containers that the need for
mixing ST and STM arose. Where the previous iteration of my program
used plain ST transactions serialized with an MVar, I am experimenting
with stm-containers with the hope that I will see improved throughput
for transactions that do not overlap, which, I believe, could complete
in parallel, at least some of the time.

It seems stm-containers itself uses unsafeFreezeArray from the
"primitive" package. One difference though is that while my private
array would be thawed, modified and refrozen regularly, the
stm-containers WordArray stays immutable (not thawed) once frozen, as
far as I can tell.

Since I am using only a single array for the entire private state,
sprinkling some runST calls with unsafeThawArray/unsafeFreezeArray in
my STM transaction may be enough for my needs, as long as I am
exceptionally careful not to leak one of these arrays into or out of
any STM transaction demarcated by the "atomically" block. If anybody
knows of any reason why I should abort this idea, please speak up.

I noticed also that Data.Array.Unsafe in base also has unsafe freezing
and thawing. Is there a reason to use one over the other?

--
Thomas Koster