[Haskell-cafe] New type of ($) operator in GHC 8.0 is problematic

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Feb 9 00:32:11 UTC 2016

As Manuel wrote:
>> I expect that every single person teaching Haskell
>> is going to be unhappy about it.

If I were in the happy position of still teaching Haskell, I would be
unhappy about it.

In my own use of Haskell, I've only played briefly with # types and then
decided to
leave them to library writers.  I'd certainly never heard of "levity
polymorphism"
before.

I can agree that for a functional language, being able to apply any
reasonable
function to any reasonable matching argument has to be doable, but such a
fundamental operation surely needs to be simple to describe?

Is there a complete lit of all the affected functions?
Is a complete list even possible?