[Haskell-cafe] Build base with stack

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 00:45:46 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 7:37 PM, Robin Palotai <palotai.robin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Do you know a way to force a rebuild of base with stack? I don't want to
> modify it, just want to feed it through a customized ghc pipeline.

base is part of ghc and must be built along with ghc. It cannot be built
separately from ghc, regardless of tooling, if you want it to actually work.

(If you want to see some examples of why it is this way, play around with
RebindableSyntax a bit, paying attention to the ways in which it breaks if
you do the wrong thing. You can also get some idea of it from the behavior
of type roles. In short: ghc must know the precise identity *at machine
level*, not just source, of various key types in base. It can only do this
by ghc and base being built together so that various types' machine level
representations can be wired into ghc as they are built.)