[Haskell-cafe] threadDelay delays less time than expected (Windows)

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Dec 30 10:09:52 UTC 2016

Am 30.12.2016 um 01:14 schrieb Bardur Arantsson:
> Beause the leap second is entirely artifical, invented to
> keep the *calendar* ("Earth" time) in sync with *physical* time.

Serving a practical purpose isn't "artificial" in my book.

>>> [1] Bascially before JodaTime made ordinary developers aware of just how
>>> complex this Time/Date stuff really is and the importance of clearly
>>> separating the concept of "calendar" time vs. "physical" time.
>>
>> Yeah, that's a really awesome library, and well worth looking at if you
>> want fresh time API ideas.
>
> Actually, the Java 8 standard "time" library is -- in many ways -- even
> better, it's been simplified to account for the fact that 99% of people
> don't actually need to account for e.g. Julian (or $OTHER) chronologies.
> If you need that kind of functionality, you're already out in the weeds
> and you probably need to implement your own library *anyway*.

I haven't looked at Java 8 date/time yet, I hear it's heavily influenced
by Jodatime so it's pretty likely that you can draw the same ideas from
that.
I'd still start with Jodatime, just to have a better chance of
interoperability with needs for alternate calendar systems. Mostly to
glean a list of potentially useful data types, and which data fields are
relevant to each.