[Haskell-cafe] hackagebot future ?

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Tue Dec 27 20:17:27 UTC 2016

Hello all,

hackagebot is the bot I've been maintaining for a few years which announces new hackage uploads in the #haskell IRC channel. I've tried to keep it "a well-behaved, non-annoying bot". It's configured to announce up to 5 uploads at a time, with at least a 5 minute interval between announcements.

As our community grows, upload activity increases, and more megaprojects with many uploads appear, I've seen more complaints about the noise, and noticed channel ops muting it temporarily. A few weeks ago this happened, and also a possible problem with the correctness of the announcements or the feed was reported. I didn't have time to investigate, so I left it offline, inviting feedback if anyone missed it.

Since then I've heard nothing. So, even though I personally like seeing the uploads, and the conversations and connections that sometimes result, I'm inclined to let hackagebot rest indefinitely. Or, would a new maintainer like to take it on ? If you have feelings about it one way or the other, please reply on-list.

Thanks!
-Simon