[Haskell-cafe] Foo.Bar.hs filenames poll

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 22:29:18 UTC 2016

> [...] I've never liked having separate directories for each level of
> hierarchy. It's easier to just list a list of files and script (e.g. even
> copying a file X.hs to Y.hs is a bummer). When opening them on GitHub you
> have to click through to get a complete picture of a project.

I think this is just a matter of personal preference, I actually like
directories: If you have a toy project, it doesn't make a difference,
because you have only a few modules a no urgent need for structuring
things. OTOH, if you have a medium or large project, using directories is
essential IMHO, and if your namespace is structured in a sane way, you
rarely want to see stuff from different parts of the directory tree. If you
do: Restructure! :-)

> [...] I suppose the real question is, as a language standard and a
> community preference, should this be considered a bug? Should people be
> free to use X.Y.hs or X/Y.hs styles?

If you have both X.Y.hs *and* X/Y.hs, which one should GHC choose? And what
about X.Y.Z.hs vs. X/Y.Z.hs vs X.Y/Z.hs vs. X/Y/Z.hs? My POV is: There
should only be one way of doing things, and in our case that should be
directories (the no-directories approach doesn't scale). Leaving things up
to personal taste confuses different readers, makes tooling more
complicated than necessary etc.

But that's just my 2c...

Cheers,
   S.