[Haskell-cafe] memoizing with a default

Levent Erkok erkokl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 09:04:34 UTC 2016

Hi Michael:

This is an interesting question, and I think you might indeed be able to
"hack" into the recursive calls if you are willing to be explicit with your
fixed-point calculation. Note that you'll have to *do* the work of keeping
track of "visited" nodes, so to speak; there's no free lunch. But the
construction of the table in a monadic form can be incorporated using
what's known as "monadic memoization mixins." See this paper by Brown and
Cook for details:

    https://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/wcook/Drafts/2009/sblp09-memo-mixins.pdf

The idea is to detour through a memo-routine before each recursive call to
do the bookkeeping necessary. The underlying monad keeps track of the data
you are memoizing.

However, before diving into memo-mixins, you might want to just implement
the algorithm keeping track of a "visited" table in the monadic style, just
to appreciate what the mixins will buy you. For fun, I coded your minimize
example in idiomatic Haskell here:

     https://gist.github.com/LeventErkok/615afe9a0e24249daedab3c623241275

Enjoy,

-Levent.