[Haskell-cafe] Gitter Haskell Community

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Dec 13 05:45:52 UTC 2016

On 13/12/16 7:27 AM, Mario Lang wrote:

> Actually, I am afraid most of you have absolutely no idea how bad web
> accessibility has become in the modern days of realtime web-based
> applications.  The digital divide is about to hit really hard with the
> next wave of new technology hype.  HTML + JavaScript was never designed
> to be an application development platform, and forcing it to be one does
> not make the job for assistive technology providers easier, in fact, it
> makes it virtually impossible.

A few years ago when our departmental web-site was being redesigned
I had some usability concerns and went to the local Blind Institute
to ask their advice.

I have forgotten their exact words, but the gist will stay with me
for a long time:

   * It's no harder to make an accessible site
     than an inaccessible site.
   * You just have to seriously WANT to.

(Our site doesn't use the design I was concerned about any more.)