[Haskell-cafe] Gitter Haskell Community

Alexander Kjeldaas alexander.kjeldaas at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 11:01:20 UTC 2016

I agree.

While I've used IRC for almost 20 years, it just isn't as usable as the
newer tools.
- IRC assumes a permanently connected computer, which again requires a VPS
as indirection.  I do use that, but there are clear usability issues here.
- IRC further assumes that I will be on one device only.  Again I solve
this by jumping through a VPS.  It's a design flow though.
- Slack is great, but enterprise (login ++).
- Gitter is just "yet another tool", might be the best thing, but it just
hasn't got the mindshare yet.

A technical solution where freenode's #haskell is bridged to one of the new
fancy web UIs, where history is kept, and multiple devices can be used,
would be great.  I'm not sure if anyone is doing that though.

Alexander