[Haskell-cafe] Gitter Haskell Community

Mihai Maruseac mihai.maruseac at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 19:02:08 UTC 2016

Problem is not in having different preferences but in splitting the
community even further. That is something we should avoid.

/me goes and investigates if a bot who will duplicate lines in
#irc/slack/gitter to the other 2 channels is a good investment.

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Ben Spencer <ben.richard.spencer at me.com> wrote:
> I think it's important to recognize that users have different tastes and
> needs.
>
> Additionally, Gitter allows you to view the chat channel if you wish. It's
> also something that's publicly viewable and searchable from Gitter explore.
> It doesn't require the odd signup process that Slack has implemented. I can
> actually see my chat history for more than 2 days!
>
> But beyond that if you like Slack and its community then more power to you.
> We can certainly have a difference of opinion and preferences.
>
> -Ben
>
> On Dec 07, 2016, at 12:09 PM, Michael Walker <mike at barrucadu.co.uk> wrote:
>
> The Haskell slack seems to be working well, so regardless of the
> suitability of slack to open communities or not, I don't really see
> the advantage of fragmenting the community even further. Why would
> someone pick gitter over the two existing platforms that have
> thousands of users? They would be intentionally limiting the help they
> can get.
>
> On 7 December 2016 at 17:07, Ben Spencer <ben.richard.spencer at me.com> wrote:
>
> Hey Chris,
>

> As I've mentioned Slack isn't a good choice for open communities. It's
>
> really designed for businesses.
>

> On Dec 07, 2016, at 11:52 AM, Christopher Allen <cma at bitemyapp.com> wrote:
>

> For that, there's http://fpchat.com/ which is an established Slack
>
> community. The #haskell channel alone has 1,208 people in it right
>
> now.
>

> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Tomas Carnecky
>
> <tomas.carnecky at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Usability matters. It's easier to tell people to open a browser window and
>

> point them at a URL than tell them to download an IRC chat client and how to
>

> connect to the server and...
>

> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 5:41 PM William Yager <will.yager at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> What are the advantages of this over the #haskell IRC on freenode? It's
>

> very active, usually with over 1500 nicks at any given time.
>

> I generally prefer IRC to any of these hip web chat solutions because IRC
>

> is client-agnostic and very rugged against companies folding or deciding
>

> they don't want to host a project any more. Basically the only way to kill
>

> an IRC channel is through social attrition, whereas any social value built
>

> up in hosted chat services might disappear overnight.
>

> The one major advantage of hosted chats over IRC is that they work better
>

> with mobile users, but I don't think that's very relevant for haskell dev.
>

> Will
>

> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 7:34 AM, Ben Spencer <ben.richard.spencer at me.com>
>

> wrote:
>

> Why Gitter you might ask?

> --
>
> Chris Allen
>
> Currently working on http://haskellbook.com

> --
> Michael Walker (http://www.barrucadu.co.uk)

Mihai Maruseac (MM)
"If you can't solve a problem, then there's an easier problem you can
solve: find it." -- George Polya