[Haskell-cafe] Confused about logBase

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 07:02:47 UTC 2016

>:

> [...]  Divisions are expensive, too.

Yes, considered in isolation they are, but things are totally different if
you consider modern CPU architectures and the program as a whole: With
highly pipelined architectures, out-of-order execution, register renaming
etc. it is not uncommon that the high cost of the division itself is hidden
because e.g. its result is not immediately needed. And the other
observation is: The cunning bit-fiddling algorithms of the past often have
very high hidden costs because they need more registers, have strong value
dependencies (leading to pipeline stalls), interact badly with branch
prediction etc.  As a result, it is not uncommon that the most
straightforward code is the fastest. In the end you have to measure... (on
various platforms)

> (interesting fact: Java uses a seven-fingered merge sort with
> bit-shift-trickery to approximate a division by seven because the division
> is so damn expensive) [...]

This is a perfect example for a bad algorithm on current CPUs: An integer
division by a constant can and should be replaced by an integer
multiplication plus some tiny correction by a shift/add, see e.g. section
"8.1 Replacing division with multiplication" in AMD's optimization guide (
http://support.amd.com/TechDocs/25112.PDF) or "Computing Magic Numbers" in
Hacker's Delight (http://www.hackersdelight.org/). Looking at e.g. the
Skylake table in http://www.agner.org/optimize/instruction_tables.pdf (the
CPU performance "bible" ;-), you can see how blazingly fast that is.

In a nutshell: We don't program on our grandpa's CPUs anymore, :-D at least
not on the desktop/server, so a lot of traditional advice from the past is
misleading nowadays.