[Haskell-cafe] Which is the most "hackable" compiler?

MarLinn monkleyon at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 15 23:20:47 UTC 2016

Thank you all very much for your tips!

@Ben
> You might want to check out DDC [1]. It’s still in a pre-alpha state,
> but what it does have is a working external core language. You could
> write your own front end that produces System-F, then have DDC compile
> that. The individual compiler passes are also fairly well separated,
> so it’s easy to change.

DDC looks like quite interesting, but I don't think it is what I am
looking for. For one thing the first parsing step is something I would
prefer to "steal" wholesale, and I would also like to avoid messing with
the type system where I'm not abusing it. On the other hand the claim
that its purpose is to "investigate program transformation" sounds
promising and I love how the code is littered with comments. So I will
definitely look at it more closely, even if it's only to learn some tricks.

@Sergey
> If you still want to work with hackablel compiler look at jhc
> https://github.com/jimcrayne/jhc and it's fork ajhc
> https://github.com/ajhc/ajhc

JHC immediately got my +1 because they have a rough diagram of the core
transformations (http://repetae.net/computer/jhc/big-picture.pdf). It's
far from perfect, but as a visual learner I love such stuff and would
like other complex programs to offer something similar. It also looks
like there might be some shared code between JHC and UHC? Speaking of
the latter, that one looks well documented, too. So both might be a good
place to start.

@Tom
> GHC compiler plugins may also be what you're looking for.

Funnily enough GHC plugins are one of the reasons I'm shying away from
GHC at the moment. Not that it's a bad idea, especially for
optimizations. But focusing so much on one core structure (no pun
intended) leads to a lot of dependencies on that structure and makes it
hard to change it. At the same time I don't think such a linear pipeline
approach is necessarily the best one. Say we want to implement a
prolog-like sublanguage, makros, or even externalized typesystems at
some point, as other languages are doing. (with makros serving as a core
tool to keep all these kitchen sinks optional) The easiest approach
would be to create separate branching paths in the compiler. Which in
turn might be implemented by a DAG of independent transformer modules
with separate pre- and postconditions, flexible intermediate types and
semi-automatic dependency resolution. In other words tight integration
with a powerful build system. That doesn't sound like something I will
be able to offer, but I think it would be a good idea to at least
experiment with approaches that might lead in that direction instead of
relying on one core highway.

Which lead me to the conclusion...

@Sergey
> You should go for a long run with GHC, it has most advanced extension
> system and you'll be able to integrate your extensions with existing
> codebase if they come out successful.

...that while that is certainly "the one true way to go" later, it's not
the place I want to start at. Sorry, GHC. You will still be my build
tool of choice, though.

So for now my takeaway is that I will start by looking at UHC and JHC as
possible places to start. DDC might be able to contribute parts or
ideas. And if everything is too complicated I might just rip out parts
from different projects and throw together my own minimalistic
frankencompiler.

So again, thanks for your contributions. It will probably take a long
time for any significant results, but I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
MarLinn