[Haskell-cafe] Suggestions for an empirical master thesis

Damian Nadales damian.nadales at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 07:06:31 UTC 2016

On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 1:22 AM, Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> >The number of bugs would have to be normalized using the
> numbers of users of a project (maybe measured in number of downloads).
>
> Do you expect more bugs for frequently downloaded packages,
> or fewer downloads for packages with many bug reports
> or bug rate diminishing with downloads? It's a slippery
> topic.

The question is whether code metrics could serve as a proxy for
code-quality/sustainability. I didn't suggest to look for associations
between downloads and bug-reports, but use the number of users as an
extra variable in the model (to normalize the data). So if we assume
that all the other variables remain the same, does code with better
metrics exhibit better quality features in practice?