[Haskell-cafe] [core libraries] Dropping support for NHC98 and old GHC from containers

Giacomo Tesio giacomo at tesio.it
Tue Apr 26 07:02:52 UTC 2016

> We did a similar cleanup pass on base a year or two back.
>
> No objection here.

If base is not compatible with nhc98 anymore, there's a little point to
preserve such compatibility on containers.

Still, for less fortunate operative systems, it would be nice to have
somewhere a list of modules/version actually compatible with Haskell 98.
Also, for future reference, it would be nice if such change is introduced
as a single-change version, so that we know it doesn't introduce or remove
any other functionality except the compatibility.

> Code you can't test is kinda hard to maintain forever.

I wonder what can prevent code to be tested with a different compiler...

Giacomo