[Haskell-cafe] Should webassembly be a target for GHC?

Alexander Kjeldaas alexander.kjeldaas at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 09:34:53 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org>
wrote:

> Finally, any interface libraries that will have to be downloaded from web
> pages should be small. Less than 100k. Page bloat is a real and serious
> problem.

IMO, this particular thing is not a serious problem, and the web pages can
easily handle two orders of magnitude larger web pages, 10MB javascript
without problems (example:  Google+).  If part of the download is a
standard library, then we'll see more use of cache forever semantics from
standardized locations (CDNs).  The stackage eco-system with pre-compiled
packages can be directly mapped onto a cache forever system and with async
download of new versions (like what Chrome and other browsers do today),
the problem is mostly converted from a latency issue into a bandwidth
issue, and we have plenty of bandwidth.

Alexander