[Haskell-cafe] Sending email

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Wed Apr 20 06:56:48 UTC 2016

On 04/20/2016 08:32 AM, Daniel P. Wright wrote:
> Hello David,
>
>> The only thing I noticed with Gmail is that in order to work it requires
> the sender's account to toggle this setting:
>> Allow less secure apps: OFF
>
> That does sound unusual!  Is my understanding you correctly that HaskellNet
> doesn't work UNLESS you disallow less secure apps?  Or is it the other
> (more intuitive) way round? (i.e. HaskellNet is being considered a "less
> secure" app and thus being disallowed).

It's not particularly sinister...

It's is simply that IMAP/SMTP do not have authentication options that
are "secure enough" for Google[1]. Or perhaps rather that they at least
must allow less secure authentication options per their respective
standards/RFCs.

Regards,

[1] Basically they don't enforce two-factor auth.