[Haskell-cafe] Is it possible to make lazy combinators for IO?

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 18:30:33 UTC 2016

What I'm looking for is more limited than lazy IO or unsafeInterleaveIO,
but it seems quite possible that there's no way to get just what I'm
looking for with the IO type proper using GHC's implementation of IO. Lazy
IO allows evaluation to drive action. When a thunk is forced, it may
trigger I/O (spooky action at a distance). What I'm talking about is
separating what actions are performed from what values are calculated from
them. Here's a partial concept which won't actually compile because of the
lazy pattern matches:

data MyIO a = forall b . MyIO (b -> a) (IO b)
instance Functor MyIO where
   fmap f ~(MyIO t m) = MyIO (f . t) m
instance Applicative MyIO where
   pure a = MyIO (const a) (pure ())
   MyIO t1 m1 <*> ~(MyIO t2 m2) =
     MyIO (\(r1, r2) -> t1 r1 (t2 r2)) ((,) <$> m1 <*> m2)
instance Monad MyIO where
  ???
instance MonadFix MyIO where
  ???