[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Megaparsec – an improved and actively maintained fork of Parsec

Andrey Chudnov achudnov at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 19:46:38 UTC 2015

(Artyom, I hope you can forward the following to the original author
and, ideally, have them subscribe to the mailing list)

As a heavy user of parsec, I have to say this is simply awesome. I've
read through the announcement and the changelog, and I have to say the
changes seem to be spot on and scratch so many old itches I have
personally struggled with when using parsec. I'm at the point where I am
seriously considering porting all my code to megaparsec; however, lack
of compatibility with GHC <7.10 is a bit of a deal-breaker at this point.

I'd like to discuss the decision to fork parsec. Now, I'm not judging:
as long as the license permits it, whether to fork or not is really up
to the forker.

However, it seems the author of megaparsec would like it to become the
new standard parsing library (see "How you can help"). I'd like that
too. However, I don't think that forking is the best way to achieve
that. Of the two reasons that were given here, the first (stagnant
development and maintenance) is a good reason to become either a
co-maintainer, or a new maintainer. There seems to be a pretty smooth
process for that now, and it doesn't raise any eyebrows when someone
requests to be the new maintainer having good reasons for it (like
willingness to contribute time and effort to the package).

The second reason is backwards compatibility. It's true the changes
might break some code, but that's why we have major versions. And the
overall architecture and interface is still in line with parsec. So, to
me it makes perfect sense to call megaparsec a parsec-4.0.0.0 and get
some continuity from the older library. That way megaparsec becomes the
default just by inheritance.

So, if the author of megaparsec is open to becoming a maintainer of
parsec, I'm sure the Hackage Trustees would be willing to help. If not,
I'm personally willing to champion that.

/Andrey