[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Creation of Haskell-Community list for Haskell.org Community Infrastructure Discussions

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 9 11:42:03 UTC 2015

|  But this leaves open people wondering what those discussions are. And
|  it also leaves open where the *designated place* to discuss
|  haskell.org community infrastructure is. The haskell-infrastructure
|  [2] list is very quiet and really about technical considerations.
|  Meanwhile, -cafe, reddit and so forth are about anything and
|  everything. So we created another list, which will be a place where we
|  seek to have our discussions related to plans for haskell.org
|  committee work, and where we invite everyone to join us.

I think this is terrific, thanks Gershom.  Just to be clear, as I understand it, the intent is to broaden participation in the work of the haskell.org committee (which is our only single point of confluence covering the entire Haskell community) by making its discussions by-default open to everyone to join in.  Specifically:

* Anyone can write to the haskell-community list.

* Haskell.org committee members commit to reading the haskell-community
  list and writing to it.  That is, it's not a side-show.  The way to
  bring something to the attention of the committee (and the wider
  community) is to write to the list.

* Discussion among haskell.org committee members takes place, by default,
  on the new, public, haskell-community mailing list.  (There is still a
  private list for members, but it is used only when there is a particular
  reason for not conducting a conversation in public; for example when
  debating nominations for new members of the committee.)

Perhaps it'd be worth adding a sub-section on https://wiki.haskell.org/Haskell.org_committee just to make these points?

Simon