[Haskell-cafe] GHC Extension Proposal: ArgumentBlock

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 17:53:20 UTC 2015

> I don't really like $ from an editor perspective though (tooling has to
> become aware of a single function when performing refactorings), so anything
> that helps reduce how prolific that operator is is a win in my book!

Can you please explain what you mean by this? Is there something more
subtle that $ being a low fixity operator? Which specific problems
does it cause tooling? Are you referring to the fact that there are
problems because $ == id and makes tooling account for two cases when
looking for refactorings? (I'm thinking of hlint here).

(FWIW, haskell-src-exts tries to fiddle with the AST to account for
fixity after parsing but the GHC parser does not, it happens during
renaming. There is a pure version here[1] if anyone else is in need of
this feature).

Thanks, Matt