[Haskell-cafe] How to direct cabal to use an alternative ghc version, ala stack?

Erik Hesselink hesselink at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 14:17:18 UTC 2015

If I had to guess, I'd say there's a directory structure like:

/project
  /foo
  /bar
  /baz

And stack found all the packages in those subdirs. It just happened to
be that those were the exact ones that were add-source'd.

But this is just a guess, of course.

Erik

On 3 September 2015 at 15:25, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:
> I'm glad it worked, but I don't think it's doing what you think it's doing.
> stack intentionally ignores cabal sandbox settings and the like so that the
> tools don't step on each others' toes. I'm not sure what --add-source you
> were using, but it's very unlikely that stack picked it up.
>
> I am now quite curious what the problem was and how stack ended up just
> working for this.
>
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 3:32 PM, David Banas <capn.freako at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to all, whom replied.
>>
>> I found that a simple “stack install …” worked perfectly, as an
>> alternative to “cabal install ...". Stack seems to have honored all the
>> “cabal …” things I did in setting up my sandbox, including all my “cabal
>> sandbox —add-source …” commands (5 in all). And, of course, it used the
>> back-rev’d version of ghc I configured it (i.e. - stack) for.
>>
>> That is SO neat that I can’t understand why it’s not a featured item in
>> the Stack documentation.
>> Thanks, Stack crew!
>>
>> -db
>>
>> On Sep 2, 2015, at 8:59 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 3:37 AM, David Banas <capn.freako at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> How do I direct cabal to use an alternative (i.e. - not my system’s
>>> default) version of ghc, which I’ve installed, via stack?
>>>
>>> I tried this:
>>>
>>> stack exec cabal install ...
>>>

>>> but got this:
>>>
>>> cabal: Use of GHC's environment variable GHC_PACKAGE_PATH is incompatible
>>> with
>>> Cabal. Use the flag --package-db to specify a package database (it can be