[Haskell-cafe] Examples for Control.Lens.Plated?

Andrey Chudnov achudnov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 04:06:04 UTC 2015

I thought I'd add an example of what I'm trying to do and what I think
transformMOnOff might be very helpful with... that is, if I only knew
how to use it. So suppose I have two mutrec data types,

 > data A = A [A] | B B | I Int
 > data B = B [A]

Suppose I want to write a function

 > incrementByNestingDepth :: A -> A

that would traverse the tree and increment all the I's by their nesting
depth in B, e.g.

 > incrementByNestingDepth (A [I 1, I 3, B [ A [I 2], B [I 1]]]) = A [I
1, I 3, B [A [I 3], B [I 3]]]

I could write that with just recursion on A and B, which could get
tedious if I had several datatypes with 20 constructors each. Or I could
use uniplate. But that's still quite tedious:

 > incrementByNestingDepth a = runState (incrementM a) 0
 > incrementM :: A -> State Int A
 > incrementM a = case a of
 >      I i -> liftM (A . (i +)) get
 >      B b->liftM B $ descendBiM incrementM b
 >      _  -> descendM incrementM a

The code isn't much smaller than for a handwritten traversal and you
could imagine (or take my word for it) that one still doesn't see a lot
of saved space using uniplate with more elaborate examples.

Now, don't get me wrong: I'm not saying uniplate is useless. In fact,
it's one of the most useful libraries I've ever used. It's simple and
does sheer magic more often than not.

However, for the sake of compositionality what (I think) one would like
to do in this case is have two traversals: the outer which says "for
every B, transform its A-children recursively like this" and the inner
says "for every A, transform all of its children recursively, but until
you see a B". You can't really do that with transform/rewrite in
uniplate, so one has to fall back to descend which requires you to set
up your recursion yourself.

The documentation in Control.Lens.Plated alludes that the traversal
above might just be possible using transformOnOff, but, unfortunately,
it does not go into any detail how exactly could one achieve that.

/Andrey