[Haskell-cafe] Flag to recompile modules which had warnings

Kostiantyn Rybnikov k-bx at k-bx.com
Wed Sep 2 18:44:21 UTC 2015

This is a call for comments before I'd create a ticket in corresponding
project (I'm not sure if it should be ghc or stack/cabal).

There's a common situation I get into: I compile with "stack build" (or
cabal build), get a big list of warnings, fix few of them, then I
re-compile project, but a lot of warnings are gone now. The only option I'm
left with is to use "-fforce-recomp".

Problems with -fforce-recomp are:
- full-recompile is quite long for big projects
- most people don't know about it, especially newbies

I think some flag, which would be turned on by default, which would
indicate to "recompile modules if they previously had warnings" would be
awesome to have.

1. would you like to have that flag?
2. would you like it "on" by default?
3. should ticket go into ghc or stack/cabal-install project?

Thank you.