[Haskell-cafe] Why Haskell is beautiful to the novice

Neil Davies semanticphilosopher at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 09:05:21 UTC 2015

Don't confuse "easy to read" with "easy to understand" with "easy to reason about" with "easy to prove"

Long term  support is not about the language, it is about the ability to take someone new to become suitably engaged with the system to diagnose, repair and extend.

To reason about cobol programs you need to reason about them in the context of not just the programming language, but also the compiler peculiarities, the o/s environment etc.

This is a *lot* easier in Haskell than in most environments - not perfect. Haskell has strictly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty that you know you have to engage with, in other languages the doubt and uncertainty is no where nearly as well contained.