[Haskell-cafe] Cabal depend on local package with foreign dependencies

Richard Lewis richard.lewis at gold.ac.uk
Tue Oct 27 18:28:35 UTC 2015

Hi Imants,

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 15:20:09 +0000,
Imants Cekusins wrote:

> Hi Richard
>
> after building packageA,
>
> try running
> "cabal copy"
> from packageA .cabal dir
> then run
> "cabal install packageA"
> from packageB .cabal dir
>
> works for me.

Thanks for this suggestion. I'd not come across the cabal copy
command.

So I can see that pacakgeA is now installed in its own
.cabal-sandbox. But when I try and configure packageB it still says
that the dependency is missing. And if I try and build packageB, it
still tries to build packageA (and fails just as before).

I noticed that cabal copy has a --destdir option, so I tried passing
packageB's .cabal-sandbox/ directory as that argument. This actually
resulted in it stuffing the binaries etc. into a directory which was
at the end of a copy of the absolute path to packageA made inside
packageB's .cabal-sandbox/ directory
(i.e. ~/src/packageB/.cabal-sandbox/home/richard/src/packageB/.cabal-sandbox/)!
I did try manually moving all those files into
~/src/pacakgeB/.cabal-sandbox/ but that didn't fool cabal; it still
claimed that packegeA was a missing dependency.

Any further thoughts?

Richard