[Haskell-cafe] Avoiding Dependency loops

martin martin.drautzburg at web.de
Sun Oct 25 10:35:02 UTC 2015

Thanks David.

Maybe I better show the actual code;

* module Process *

data Process r = Prc {
            prcSources  :: [Port],
            prcSinks    :: [Port],
            prcRunner   :: r,
            prcId       :: PrcId
} deriving (Show)

* module System *

data System = Sys {
            sysProcesses :: ProcessDb,
            sysItems     :: ItemDb
} deriving Show

type ProcessDb = M.Map Int (Process PrcRunner)

data PrcRunner = PrcRun (Timed Event -> Process PrcRunner -> State System EventQu)

I understand your reasoning about the type contraints, but I cannot see what I should actually do.

AS for your second suggestion of splitting things up even more, I don't think this will help, because the loop is
already on type level.

My feeling is that I got caught in OO thinking too much and the runner should not be part of the process at all. But
again I cannot see how to fix it. The thing is, Process itself does not really have any business with its Runner. There
is no function which actually does anyting with it. The Process type just provides a home for the runner.

Thinking aloud:

On top of the whole thing sits a simulation, which among others changes the state of the System. This includes changes
to the Processes. I want to capture this by altering the Runner associated with a particular Process. Wouldn't this
suggest that System needs an association between Process and Runner rather than making Runner a field of Process?