[Haskell-cafe] 'Associative' order of calling

Janis Voigtländer janis.voigtlaender at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 18:34:56 UTC 2015

> If one has f a = Bool -> a, and a value
>
> xs :: f Int
> xs True = 2
> xs False = 3
>
> what are x1 and x2?

One answer I could give is: That depends on the definition of the
Traversable instance for the (Bool -> a) type constructor.

Another answer I could give is: Ask the authors of the Traversable
documentation. The first sentence on
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.8.1.0/docs/Data-Traversable.html
is: "Class of data structures that can be traversed from left to right,
...". So it seems that the authors of that documentation (which I
criticize) assume that they can say -- for any given type constructor, so
also for your (Bool -> a) example -- what "left" means and what "right"
means.