[Haskell-cafe] A suggestion: On why code merges should influence Haskell design

Erik Hesselink hesselink at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 13:15:17 UTC 2015

On 14 October 2015 at 15:03, Sven Panne <svenpanne at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm not sure why you're saying this is impossible with merges; I've
>> done it several times. Git will find the right branch where things
>> went wrong, and then finds the commit on that branch without problems.
>
> Well, it might be the case that 'git bisect' alone works, but if you've got
> lots of tooling sitting on top of your version control (e.g. bots measuring
> and visualing performance, detecting regressions, etc.), you have a much
> easier time with a linear history than a DAG-shaped one.

This is getting a bit off topic, but anyway: I'm not even sure about
that. What if your tools finds a regression, and you want to revert
it. If it's part of a big rebased branch, this is tricky because the
whole feature might depend on it. If it's a merge, though, you can
just revert the merge.

Erik