[Haskell-cafe] Monad of no `return` Proposal (MRP): Moving `return` out of `Monad`

Taru Karttunen taruti at taruti.net
Fri Oct 9 14:32:24 UTC 2015

On 09.10 08:57, Mario Blažević wrote:
>     Via Hackage. Let's say my-package is at version 1.7.2 as far as features
> and bug fixes go; Hackage would then host my-package-1.7.2.708 and
> my-package-1.7.2.710. The former is uploaded by running cabal upload on
> branch ghc-7.8 of the source repository, the latter on branch ghc-7.10. The
> main difference between the branches would be in the .cabal file:
>
> on ghc-7.8 branch
>
>    version: my-package-1.7.2.708
>    build-depends: ghc <= 7.8.*,
>

> on ghc-7.10 branch
>
>    version: my-package-1.7.2.710
>    build-depends: ghc == 7.10.*,
>
>     You can do this with no extra tooling, the only extra work is to run
> seven commands instead of one at publishing time:
>
>    git checkout ghc-7.8
>    git merge master
>    cabal upload
>    git checkout ghc-7.10
>    git merge master
>    cabal upload
>    git checkout master

And then GHC 8.0 is released and your library is broken until you
update the cabal file or add a new branch. Which means that all
libraries depending on your library refuse to build...

This would mean that all libraries would need a new release
on each GHC major version? Oh and testing your library on
HEAD before release? Not supported? Using any library depending
on your library before the release?

- Taru Karttunen