[Haskell-cafe] Monad of no `return` Proposal (MRP): Moving `return` out of `Monad`

Bryan Richter b at chreekat.net
Mon Oct 5 22:18:29 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 06:43-0700, mantkiew wrote:

> Well, there are the *compat packages:
>
> Base-compat
> Transformers-compat
> Mtl-compat
>
> Etc. They do centralize the ifdefs and give you compatibility with
> GHC 7.*. I recently adopted the last two ones and they work like
> a charm. I am yet to adopt base-compat, so I don't know what the
> experience is with it.

Hang on a moment, are you saying that all the people writing to argue
that these changes would require them to write dozens more #ifdef's
actually don't have to write any at all? I never knew what the *-compat
packages were all about. If that's what they're designed to do, I have a
feeling they have not gotten *nearly* enough exposure.

[Apologies for possible cross-posting; this thread jumped into my inbox
from I-know-not-where and already has half a dozen CCs attached.]