[Haskell-cafe] Monad of no `return` Proposal (MRP): Moving `return` out of `Monad`

Marcin Mrotek marcin.jan.mrotek at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 19:21:52 UTC 2015

> There's an argument that this proposal involves very little up-front
> breakage. This is true but disingenuous, because the breakage will still
> happen in the future unless changes are made and committed. The entire
> maintenance load should be considered, not just the immediate load.

I don't have much to say about breakage (and thus I've refrained from
voting), as a maintainer of just 7 packages of which exactly zero are
compatible with anything else than the latest GHC (well, no one
complained, I'm rather lazy, and if it's any defense I can't even run
GHC 7.10.1 on my Arch Linux box because of inappropriate versions of
dynamically linked libraries), but a honest question: does this
proposal entail anything else than replacing every "return" with
"pure" and conditional compilation of "return = pure" in Monad
instances?

Best regards,
Marcin Mrotek