[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: Fwd: Compatibility etiquette for apps, with cabal sandboxes and `stack`

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Nov 30 08:59:16 UTC 2015

Am 30.11.2015 um 00:24 schrieb Michael Orlitzky:
> GHC does dynamic linking now, but I'm OK with static linking as long as
> it's tracked. The end result is the same as if you had dynamic linking,
> only with a lot more wasted space and rebuilds/reinstalls.

Well, the idea was to use static linking to keep the libraries
themselves outside the view of the package manager. I.e. the libraries
aren't tracked inside the package manager, they become part of your
upstream.

If you insist on tracking the libs inside the package manager, then you
retain all the disadvantages of dynamic linking (inability to work with
mutually incompatible library version requirements) and static linking
(bigger space requirements).

I do wonder about the "a lot more wasted space" bit.
How much space are we really talking about?

Regards,
Jo