[Haskell-cafe] Darcs vs Git

amindfv at gmail.com amindfv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 04:52:18 UTC 2015

> El 16 nov 2015, a las 13:32, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> escribió:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 12:11 PM Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
>> Am 16.11.2015 um 18:36 schrieb Mike Meyer:
>> I haven't seen you argue what purpose a full history might actually
>> have, so I still can't say what value you see in the "full history"
>> approach, but ah well - sometimes it's hard to verbalize such feelings,
>
> Accuracy. Having watched the soviets change their history texts with each regime, it bothers me to see history changed. If people actually read and/or otherwise examined these "carefully crafted change logs" on a regular basis, I might feel otherwise. But I never look at them unless I'm chasing a bug, and as far as I can tell, nobody else does either. So spending time editing history is not only mostly wasted effort, it may well cause problems for the only use. I don't have any actual proof that this is the case, but I haven't seen any for any other position, either. If you've got it, I'd certainly be interested in reading it.
>
>> I just hope that you can accept that other people greatly prefer a log
>> which has been geared towards better reviewability.
>
> Oh, I don't have a problem doing that. But I expect the same courtesy in return. In particular, If I choose to donate my work to your project, you'll not ask me to change my clone of your repo to meet your expectations, but modify the change log as you pull it to meet your standards. If that's a hoop you insist contributors jump through, that's cool. I'll stop submitting them. It's not like I lack things to do.

"git merge --squash" is what you can use to satisfy both the person who wants a clean commit and the person who wants an accurate history log -- you can use it to create a single commit that's the sum of all changes on another branch, and now you're only creating a new branch instead of rewriting the old one.

tom