[Haskell-cafe] haskell-src-exts maintenance

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Mon Nov 16 10:56:31 UTC 2015

I just added Matthew as a maintainer on hackage and github (with Peter's
approval), so he is now able to make the release.

On 11/16/2015 12:40 PM, malcolm.wallace wrote:
> We too have been waiting a long time for a refreshed release of HSE.  If
> Matthew has already made the edits, and we are simply awaiting the
> package's release to Hackage, perhaps Matthew should go ahead make that
> release himself, and petition the Hackage admins to accept it, in
> view of the official maintainers' long silence?
> Regards,
>     Malcolm
> On 12 Nov, 2015,at 05:37 PM, Matthew Pickering
> <matthewtpickering at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Peter,
>> Please can you do the release. I completed the work updating HSE
>> several months ago, a much better version of HSE has been waiting on
>> the master branch since then. I thank you for providing helpful review
>> for the patches I submitted but since then I have sent three emails
>> asking about the release. After the second you promised to do a
>> release at the end of October but that never happened.
>> It is a shame that the user's of HSE have had to live with many long
>> standing bugs when they have been fixed for months.
>> If you can not do it for whatever reason then please can you add me as
>> a maintainer on hackage and the github repo so that users can get an
>> updated version of HSE.
>> Best wishes,
>> Matt
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:35 PM, Peter A Jonsson
>> <jonsson.peter.a at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I’m not even going to bother to CC haskell-cafe since that will just
>>> bounce or go into a black hole.
>>> I exchanged a couple of mails with David (Lemmih) and my impression
>>> was that he was going to act upon some things but I didn’t follow up
>>> on that so there was probably some miscommunication between the two
>>> of us.
>>> I’ve merged some things and reviewed some patches. I agree with Neil
>>> that stable things should be merged and the yearly release of HSE
>>> should be made. I don’t want to rush things out through the door at
>>> any cost though—I believe HSE’s users are better served by something
>>> that is a strict improvement and contains more features than the last
>>> release compared to something that has even more features but is a
>>> bit shaky and requires a new major version of HSE in just a month or
>>> two which would force the client code to be re-tested and re-released.
>>> Best Wishes,
>>> Peter
>>>> On 28 Jul 2015, at 17:49, Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> As a very heavy HSE user (HLint and Hoogle), who has had a reasonably
>>>> close working relationship with all of Niklas (my SoC mentor and my
>>>> SoC mentee), Roman and Peter (a fellow supercompiler developer) and
>>>> Matt (currently hacking on HLint), I thought I should weigh in.
>>>> The current state of HSE is a little forlorn - there are 22 open pull
>>>> requests, everything from reducing algorithm complexity (an accidental
>>>> n^3), fixing the default encoding (should be UTF8) and lots of actual
>>>> parser fixes. A lot of this is good stuff, and the high level of
>>>> external contributions is a really good sign. But they need to be
>>>> merged and reviewed, and it seems the bandwidth just isn't there at
>>>> the moment. Given Matt's comments on the existing tickets, and the
>>>> triage he's already performing on the repo, I have high hopes that
>>>> Matt could provide a bit more of the time and attention. Peter,
>>>> perhaps a co-maintainer would be good for a little while?
>>>>> If it's not soon then please could you add myself and Christian to the
>>>>> maintainers so that we can perform some short term maintenance. My
>>>>> immediate plan of action would be
>>>>> 1. Immediately cut a 1.17 release from the master branch as it
>>>>> contains much better parsing of lifted constructors which are becoming
>>>>> more prevalent.
>>>>> 2. Review and merge recent pull requests.
>>>>> 3. Update the parser as far as possible with missing features.
>>>>> 4. Release 1.18 with these improvements within 1 month.
>>>> Awesome! Although as a preference I'd go for as much of 2 as you can
>>>> in a couple of days before doing 1 - a lot of the patches are simple
>>>> and valuable, and a 2 day wait isn't going to be too problematic.
>>>> Thanks, Neil
>> _______________________________________________
>> Haskell-Cafe mailing list
>> Haskell-Cafe at haskell.org <mailto:Haskell-Cafe at haskell.org>
>> http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 819 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/attachments/20151116/47bf5b00/attachment.sig>

More information about the Haskell-Cafe mailing list