[Haskell-cafe] Darcs vs Git

Francesco Ariis fa-ml at ariis.it
Sun Nov 15 08:30:36 UTC 2015

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 07:40:16AM +0100, Bardur Arantsson wrote:
> "Patch theory" is all well and good, but it's missing the point, IMO.
> Tools *must* have a manual override for when the user knows best and
> that also means adapting to *my* workflow rather than me having to
> constantly think mind "should I commit now?", "which order do I need to
> do my refactoring in to get small reviewable commits?", etc. With git,
> it's very rare to have to think about this.

Fairly recently (v2.10.0) darcs introduced `suspend` and `unsuspend`,
when you want to modify stuff deep down in the repo (a patch that
depends on one or more other patches, etc. - see this blog post [1]).

I seldom use it as cherry-picking with darcs is easy, but those times
I was really glad to have had the option.

[1] https://parenz.wordpress.com/2015/07/28/darcs-rebase-by-example/