[Haskell-cafe] the last mile in haskell performance

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 11:30:12 UTC 2015

Michael,

Thanks to your insight I took a look at Data.Vector.Unboxed

I was very happy, but there is a caveat; Looking at the documentation:

"In particular, unboxed vectors of pairs are represented as pairs of
unboxed vectors". https://tldrify.com/cfj

it seems that derivingUnbox and all the Unboxed Vectors code do as much as
is possible with what GHC offers to make things unboxed, which are reduced
to the primitive types.

So the only way to pack an user defined data is to create one Vector of
unboxed primitive type for each  field of the data . So if I have a data
with five fields the result is five Vectors.

This is nice in some cases, but does most of the time does not. this does
not solve the problem of CPU cache since the fields in the data are at
least lenght (Vector)  away. I mean that if the vector is moderately long,
if the first field is in the cache, the second or third etc may not be.
Usually the fields of any data are handled together.

This solution will not match C- C++ speed consistently for most single
threaded programs.  Moreover there is an additional cost in the
packing/unpacking necessary.

However this is the best that can be done with what GHC offers now.

The solution is the possibility of unboxed user-defined types:

data MyUnboxedData= MyUnboxedData#    Int#    Float# ....

where MyUnboxedData#   is an unboxed constructor

Then there are some questions:
1) Am I wrong?
2) It is feashible?
3) It is worth the pain? (My answer: yes This is not satisfactory, it is
very important for Haskell success and should be addressed if there is no
 insurmountable barrier)
4) Are there alternatives before making a formal proposal?

Thanks

--
Alberto.